Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New raspberries and blackberries

Posted by MrsG47 6-7 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 18:53

I planted 8 Ouachita blackberries, four Caroline raspberries and three Ukee raspberries this spring. They are all flowering and producing fruit. Do I leave the berries and buds on the plant or cut them off? Thanks. Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New raspberries and blackberries

I kept all my fruiting Blackberry canes that were planted from containers this Spring.They will be cut off at the ground after all the berries are picked.The plants are producing new canes that will be left for next year.
I'm not sure about Raspberries. Brady

o

Raspberries also produce only one year and are cut. might as well eat the few they make the first year. Next year's crop are the new plants that should be eclipsing the old canes about now.

o

Caroline is a primocane bearing on the tips in the fall. And then the floricanes in the spring (fruit on the bottom 2/3).

o

Caneberries are not like various fruit trees or bushes where removing/thinning the fruit on young plants is recommended.

If that is what you were getting at.

Let 'em rip.

o

Thanks all. Guess I'll let them go for now. Cannot wait to taste the Caroline. There were so many great reviews about the berry I thought I'd try it. Was surprised to see that my blackberry had pink flowers. Very pretty too! Will prune this fall. Also had our first 30 minute rain last night. Finally some water! Mrs. G

o

You must have Chester if your getting pink flowers on your blackberry. One of the most hardy varieties I have. Triple crown is pretty hardy too as are my Chickasaw. The Chesters do put on a show and they are very productive. Good luck to you!

o

Thanks ABz5b, no its not Chester. It is a 'thornless' Ouachita. I have grown Chester in the past. They never really got very sweet here. Trying this one for a change. thanks though, Mrs. G

o

Nice. im going to file that bit of info away. I currently have Chester,Chickasaw,Triple crown, Prime ark and Prime Jan. I had enough space so im seeing which ones I like best. so far out of the erect varieties Chickasaw is doing the best for me. Well see later in the year how the Chesters turn out :)

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 18:29

My Triple Crown gets pink flowers.

o

Doyle has pink flowers. My Triple Crown blooms white.
Olga

o

My Triple Crown has pink/white flowers that fade to white. Black Satin has white flowers.

Pink or red portions are a common trait on otherwise white blossoms across a wide range of plants, and the trait can vary considerably in the same plant species/cultivar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here