Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will these apples grow in the south?

Posted by NorthGa7A none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 18:54

Here is an order I am putting together for Cummins Nursery. I want to try some of the more exotic - flavorful apples.
Does anyone have have any thoughts on if these varieties and rootstocks will work in Georgia with our humidity and heat?

Ashmeads Kernal G-16
Crimson Topaz G-16
Karmijn de Sonneville G16
Pickie Crunch dwarf
Rubinette G-11
Wickson Crab G16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will these apples grow in the south?

You'd be better off ordering from a southern orchard like Century Farm Orchards; Wickson Crab it the only one I know will do well. They will all grow and fruit, but the quality will be iffy.

o

Ashmead seems highly adapted, it should be fine.
I don't know anything about Crimson Topaz.
Karmijn is not a heat lover. I have also had problems getting mine to fruit.
Pixie Crunch I heard is fine for hot climates, but no personal experience yet.
Rubinette has not been consistent for me and I have heard similar complaints from others in hotter climates.
Wickson won't do well if your climate is like mine, it cracks too readily in the big dry - wet transitions we get in the fall. It is also highly susceptible to cedar apple rust.

I agree to look at what good southern orchards are selling, if nothing else as a guide for what to order from Cummins or some other place.

Scott

o

Might also look at Lawson's in Ball Ground and Johnson's at Ellijay - both respectable, long-established fruit nurseries right there in your 'backyard'. If they're offering it, it should grow there.

o

I second Johnson's at Ellijay Link below is a good choice but I don't think any of those listed are offered by them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson's Nursery

o

Thanks for the advise, I have purchased trees Johnson's and Mr. Lawson on several occasions, just looking for a few more varieties that have unique, complex flavor that will work here in the south. Any recommendations?

o

I've traveled to a lot of apple growing areas of the country, and King David seems to rise to the top of everyone's list, no matter where it's grown. Its appearance is almost identical to Arkansas Black, but man does it blow it away in flavor. Its worthy of at least one tree in your Southern garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here