Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to "Sanitize" an area with virus infected raspberries

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:56

well; it's official. my 10 year old raspberry patch is infected. I'll still get some berries this year but approx. 1/2 the plants have the stunted fruit and yellowed leaves indicative of a virus.

I already started another patch a couple of hundred feet away with nursery plants.

Once I get whatever harvest I can this year I plan on cleaning out the raspberries and planting other things there next year.

I'm asking if there isd a recommended process or procedure for clearing out the infected plants. I thought I might treat them all with roundup and then burn the canes late in the fall. As I understand it the virus stays in the soil for several years no matter what I do.

suggestions or comments anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to "Sanitize" an area with virus infected raspberries

Does the virus look like yellow or orange powder on the leaves? Is there not a funigicide you can use?

o

my understanding from a lot ofreading is that a virus infection of raspberries is inevitable eventually at least here in MN and that nothing can be done except to replant elsewhre with untainted nursery stock

o

Fungicides are for fungi. We can't even kill viruses that infect us. Aids, flu, herpes etc. You could plant something not related to raspberries there.Some of the viruses affecting raspberries (e.g. arabis mosaic virus, cucumber mosaic virus) have very wide host ranges, and can affect a large number of garden plants and even weeds.
Yes kill all the weeds too.
I'm not sure what you could grow there now? Maybe currants and espalier them on the trellis.

o

I agree with oldryder- and from some experience. Most sites, brambles in my area burn out over time, although fall bearers can be very long lived.

I've never worried about sanitizing the soil or heard of a way of doing that for viruses. I've never heard of anyone going to Drew's methods either, although maybe there are certain cases. I believe your problem is probably specific to brambles.

Because wild brambles are so prevalent around that contain the viruses that are the problem, I only pull out the old plants and immediately use the site for other things. Unless your area is very tame (without wild brambles nearby) I see no reason to do anything more than this

o
RE: How to "Sanitize" an area with virus infected raspb

I was just thinking what to do with the area. I have 2 locations right now and both have a trellis up. I would not want to remove it. And I kill weeds there now. The info about it spreading is a plagiarized quote from the Royal Horticultural Society. I like their books, so often go to them for info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal quotes

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 7:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here