Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_lampl

mulberries - what's the best?

Bryan Lampl
13 years ago

I am trying to determine which variety of mulberry to plant in my yard and hope to get some good input. A friend recommends a Pakistani mulberry which produces large, sweet berries. I am in zone 10. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• dghays
    13 years ago

I'm in Z10 in FL, have 4 vars, including Pakistani, Tice, Giant, Red. I love my Tice by far, big fat berries not just sweet, but with a rich flavor also. I find Pakistani somewhat bland in comparison. Just MHO.

Gary

• lucky_p
    13 years ago

Local climatic conditions determine which will be best for you. Z10 SoCal may be different from Z10 Fla.
    Illinois Everbearer is a winner here, but it's only so-so for a friend in MI; he sent me cuttings of one that's his top performer there(he'd purchased it as 'Pakistan', but it wasn't), but it was only so-so here.
    Never had a native red mulberry(M.rubra) that wasn't top-flight, but many of the 'volunteer' M.albas around here are hardly worth picking.
    If you could check around and sample fruits from several varieties, you'd have a better idea which would suit you best.

• lucky_p
    13 years ago

Local climatic conditions determine which will be best for you. Z10 SoCal may be different from Z10 Fla.
    Illinois Everbearer is a winner here, but it's only so-so for a friend in MI; he sent me cuttings of one that's his top performer there(he'd purchased it as 'Pakistan', but it wasn't), but it was only so-so here.
    Never had a native red mulberry(M.rubra) that wasn't top-flight, but many of the 'volunteer' M.albas around here are hardly worth picking.
    If you could check around and sample fruits from several varieties, you'd have a better idea which would suit you best.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

If you only have room for one, skip right past those Rubras and Albas and go for the Morus Nigras, since in your climate you can grow any of them. I have Noir de Spain I bought from Raintree 5 or 6 years ago, and I get tons of fruit from June through September, and they are among the best-tasting fruit of any kind I have ever tasted. The flavor is a cross between the sweetest blackberry and Merlot wine. The other morning I opened my front door to get the paper and found some joggers in my tree, munching away. When they saw me they exclaimed "Mulberries", and I said "Yes, I know, I planted the tree." So they taste so good strangers will pilfer them!

Carla in Sac

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

I think Lucky and Carla are both right and I particularly like the idea of a tree bearing delicious fruit for 4 months! I have no advice for you except to make sure that the humidity of Florida won't be a huge performance changer. CA's mediterranean clamate is so different than yours. If I had to run with any advice here I'd go with the Floridan.

• lucky_p
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carla - that's just the sort of info I thought the OP should have - most of us east of the Mississippi don't really have a clue as to what CA climates are like - though I'm well aware that in a state that big, you've got a wide diversity of conditions.
    M.nigra is a non-starter here, but all the mulberry 'experts' I've ever heard from suggest that if you can grow it, it's the best.