Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree leaves

Posted by prohlfsen 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 19:38

Hello all! New poster here!

My State Fair apple tree is getting light splotchy leaves. Too much water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree leaves

I think it is more likely a chemical problem in the soil. Did you add anything to the soil? Al

o

We have Spring-Green do our lawn fertilizer and weed control. The other 3 apple trees look great with the exception of a little rust on the Honey Crisp leaves which I believe is unrelated.

o

Those guys come out with a pressure hose and spray as quickly as possible to get on to the next job.

o

Actually, they do a great job and they use granular. They take samples and do evaluations. Not to mention a good price. Leaves me time for everything else. Maybe your local franchise does that.

I will talk to them and see what that think.

o

Usually, veins on new leaves equals chorosis caused by iron deficiency. But I have never seen splotchy green areas mixed with chlorotic as I can see on some of those leaves. Weird.

If it is iron deficiency a single limited area foliar application would snap the treated leaves right out of it and confirm the problem.

Zone 4, I assume your soil is acidic?

o

(To Fascist_Nation. Zone 4, I assume your soil is acidic???)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was lead to believe Iron chlorosis was caused by alkaline soil??
I do hope so as I've been treating an apple with sulphur to increase the acidity of my soil. Ph 8 is a bit high for apples?

o

Sorry if I unfairly maligned that outfit. I was probably thinking of one with a similar name.

o

I wouldn't rely on a lawn service for fruit tree diagnostics, unless they do lab soil tests. If you are really curious about what is going on, and if the tree continues to grow well it might be mostly about serving your curiosity, you should start with a soil test. Different varieties react differently to soil deficiences.

Leaf analysis is next if nothing comes up in soil test.

For this type of help your cooperative extension can be invaluable if you have a good local agent. They aren't looking for more work and have the resources of your state agricultural university at their disposal. They should be aware of common issues in your soil type.

o

Awesome suggestions! I will go to the co-op

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here