Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these strawberry runners? And lettuce question

Posted by sintro 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 19:39

I still don't really know what runners look like. The plants I bought were "Chef Jeff" everbearing or dayneutrals (can't remember) from Steins.

We've had a really hot week here in SE WI, low to mid 90's. I noticed what I think are runners browning a bit, just not looking as vibrant as the rest of the plant.

One plant: with runner to the right:

Runner of that plant:

More Runners:

Also, I have no problem with the lettuce(my mom said it was very bitter, because of the heat). But I sowed the seeds indoors on easter weekend or 3/1/2013. It is now 7/20/2013 and the plants are still chugging along. They were just a burpee mesclun mix with predicted life expectancy of 48 days or so, it's been over double that! I also thought that lettuce is a cold weather crop that tends to bolt in heat. It's been 80's at least this month, with this week in the 90's. Although on my porch they only get direct light from 11-3, so that might explain the plants having a longer life and maybe they don't get as hot(they certainly look halfdead in the afternoon).

There's also a few lettuce I sowed a few weeks ago. I was going to seperate them, but wanted to see how they grow when so tight like that. I also typically harvest the lettuce about once a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these strawberry runners? And lettuce question

Those are strawberry leaves, not runners. Old leaves usually get looking old this time of year. After you harvest the fruit is time to cut back all those.

The small plant at the bottom of the first photo may have started from a runner.

Your lettuce has all bolted. Time to pull it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here