Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Prune or Not To Prune

Posted by garyt33 5/6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 19:43

This is my largest tree, a Mac. This past winter I gave it a heavy pruning in the hopes of not doing any additional pruning during the summer. Now it looks like it has an afro! I’m concerned that the fruit won’t receive enough sun but I have read in this forum that each fruit requires a certain amount of leaves for a decent sugar content. Should I open it up or leave it alone? After no fruit last year due to the weather I don’t want to blow it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Prune or Not To Prune

I gave my Mac a pretty heavy haircut...thinned it a lot to open up the middle to sunlight. I have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to apples/pruning so i just did what i thought "felt" right! Your tree is huge! That must be 10+ years old? This winter i'd like to cut mine way back and graft a number of different varieties to it in the spring.

o

You were close, the tree is about 12 years old. The center is open but it doesn't show due to the over growth.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 23:56

It sounds like you need to do more thinning cuts and fewer heading cuts.

o

I would go back in right away and cut a lot of that lush, excess growth out. I'd concentrate on taking out pencil-sized branches that point into the tree, down to the ground, or up into the air. Leave nicely placed horizontal pencils as these will spur up and begin bearing in another year or two. The other pencils will also become bearing wood, and the tree will be overloaded with small, crowded fruit. Nothing will get enough light, especially in the interior and lower parts of the tree, and quality will suffer. The tree becomes impossible to spray thoroughly and thinning is a nightmare. The interior and lower parts of the tree will lose their bearing ability as declining pencils are not replaced, and new bearing wood will form higher and further out, making management and harvest difficult.

Summer pruning will reduce the stored sugars in the tree and result in less vigorous growth next year. Murky points out that you need more thinning and fewer heading cuts. Heading cuts encourage bushiness.

Anyhow, those are my best thoughts on a subject I'm very much struggling to master- others may improve on or contradict them. I constantly argue with my Liberty!

o

I believe that it is always safe to remove water sprouts connected to big wood. Shoots that are near fruit feed it but those connected directly to scaffold branches likely feed mostly themselves and wood and root below them.

Too much summer pruning can reduce the quality of the fruit but you can probably take off most of those water sprouts and actually improve fruit quality by getting light to the leaves that feed the fruit.

Anyway, I do that kind of pruning all summer long on hundreds of bearing apple trees, starting in Mid-July. By then you don't get too much regrowth. Really go after the water sprouts in the center of the tree.

o

Thanks for the advise. It really has become a mess. I cringe every time I look at it. Looks like we are headed for a great harvest this year.

o

The tree will look much better after you've taken out a bunch of the rank growth and the apples will likely color better also. Just gotta get cooler evenings in early Sept.- Macintosh needs that.

o

It was hot but its done! Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here