Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_58092

Apple tree help

We have several apple trees in our yard approx. 6 years old. Last year we got a bunch of pretty nice looking apples. We have never sprayed them.

This year we are pretty disappointed with how everything looks. I could use some advice and diagnosis. We are committed to treating with organic controls and don't need things to be perfect, but we do want to keep the trees as healthy as possible. We had a very dry summer last year, and this year is the complete opposite. Zone 5 Iowa.

I have posted one example below.

{{gwi:121473}}

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

Comments (7)

• iowajer
    9 years ago

Looks like maybe some CAR (cedar apple rust) and some Plum Curculio hits.

I can't help much with the organic approach (maybe neem oil could help some...)

But if I didn't spray with Immunox (fungicide) and Triazicide (insecticide) I don't think I'd have any apples to speak of. Hot, humid, and lots of rain is a nightmare. As it is, if I'm a couple days late on the schedule interval on the insecticide I can see the damage.

Maybe someone with organic control experience will chime in.

Good luck.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

It could be apple scab.

Check this article out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple scab

• TurCre
    9 years ago

Its not CAR, looks like scab to me. The precipitation is definitely better than drought, but it does make diseases more likely. Keep your trees well pruned to allow for better air circulation so they dry quicker.

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

aliweed:

Since you have just a few trees, have you tried bagging
    your apples in June when they are the size of a dime?

Practical when the crop is very low, trees are small and not
    enough crop to justify spraying or if someone only has a few trees. There are some very good posts on U-tube
    showing bagging apples in plastic or paper. It does work.

Every year I bag all my Haralson because I spray with Imidan insecticide which seems to cause a lot of russeting on Haralson. When I grow them in bags, I have no issue.

Here are a few shots of apples I bagged a few years ago
    (not Haralson)

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Apple to the left looks disfigured by both scab and insects- any crescent shaped wounds would indicate plum curc., but whatever it is an be controlled with Triazide. Best bet to control scab is myclobutanil, which is the active ingredient in Immunox.

Organic control is problematic but you can refer to Michael Phillips book, "The Apple Grower" for recommendations and explanations. Organic growers have a few tools but mostly rely on sulfur and a good sticker to combat scab- but it must be timed very well and reapplied after rain. Surround is a non-toxic product formulated out of kaoline clay and is the go to product for organic growers to discourage most apple eating insects.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Apples with a little scab are often edible, although they won't keep well.

• Ali Eggenburg Alldredge
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.

I will look into controlling apple scab and the plum curculio. Maybe try some sulfur spray and some traps for the insects in the spring. I will try and bag at least some, so I get a few good apples.

I was have been pruning the trees each year, but probably not enough. I was going to try and top a few of them this year to limit height.

How do you think I will fair with that plan?

Thanks again for the responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog