Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my Asian Pears cracking and getting wrinkled?

Posted by languard (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 20:01

For the most part my Asian Pears are doing well, but some of the fruit are getting damaged. First up we have fruits shriveling up on the tree as seen below. We've probably taken off 10 so far that look like this.

Next up we have splitting. I'm not sure how many are doing this, but the picture below shows what they look like.

And finally...brown stuff at the stem. I have no idea what could be causing this, or even if it's harmful, but I've removed the few fruits I've see that look like this.

I suspect at least one of the causes is watering. To much or too little is the question. About once a week I deep soak the trees by turning on the house and just letting it run for about 7 minutes each tree. All the trees have mulch around them, with a small breathing space cleared around the trunk.

These last few weeks in the Kansas CIty area have been hot and dry in case that matters. And as always, thanks in advance for any replies :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my Asian Pears cracking and getting wrinkled?

The brown stuff at the base of the stem is from the codling moth.

Someone else should be along soon to comment about the other two images..

o

Cracking can happen if its dry and then suddenly gets very wet. It has not been common for me. Cracking makes them more susceptible to moth damage. I don't know whats going on with those small fruits in the top picture, they look very strange. Since there are not many damaged fruits I would just keep monitoring it at this point.

Scott

o

Thanks for the response guys. I've cut open several pears and found that yep, I've got tunnels. Haven't seen any of the worms yet though. I've been hunting down all the fruit that show the frass. Hopefully that will control the population well enough.

Regarding the splitting, that sounds about right. It was brutal hot for a while, then we deep soaked the trees.

Anyone on the the shriveled fruit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here