Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
judging ripeness in sour cherries?

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 20:03

This is the first year I have seen any significant crop on the half dozen varieties of sours we put in.

Without baseline experience on what full ripe tastes likei for the different types, are there any general indicators for how long to let them hang once they color up?

On the trees with enough fruit, I have just started picking a little at a time once they achieve good color, try to be attentive to the changes over time and make notes for next year. Most do seem to continue to "improve" with additional time. But obviously this is weighing against a steadily increasing risk of loss to birds, cracking , rot, etc....

any advice on zeroing in on peak harvest window?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: judging ripeness in sour cherries?

In my experience, the longer the better, sugar level goes up.
From the time when turning red, minimum around one to two weeks, have let them on double and they tasted even better, never seen cracking.

o

If you have any left once the sour cherries are really red, they become much sweeter. They are still very tart but sweeter. I've been eating mine off of the tree for the past few days and they are semi-red. They are delish! By the way my Montmorency did not produce more than 50 cherries this year. Half of which fell off. I've decided the tree is not getting enough sun .

o

A ripe sour cherry will stay intact when the stem is pulled off. When the stem is pulled on an unripe cherry, the pit and much of the flesh stays attached to the stem. The cherry will do this even when fully red.

Taste is of course the prime factor, balanced against the risk of splitting or predators, when extending the harvest.

For large harvests intended for freezing or baking, the stem test is quick and reliable. The taste test is better for fresh eating.

o

I find most people pick their tart cherries too early! Even though the fruit is red does not mean it is ripe to perfection. I always tell friends they are like apples. Apples turn red weeks before fully ripe.

I have a North Star cherry and did a light picking last night from the top of the tree only. I find they are best not picked when red but almost purple. At that stage the
cherries really plump out and have a slightly glossy skin color.

However, taste is up to the grower. A friend has picked
almost all of his North Star already and he is happy with
them. I would have waited longer.

My Mesabi ripens the same time as North Star. My Balaton (YUM!) ripens slightly later. This year the cherries are ripening much later than last year due to our
cold late spring. I would say they are running about 1.5
weeks later than normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here