Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feed apple tree now?

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 20:04

My Fuji is fruiting for the first time this year. Today, I notice that the color of the leaves isn't the same dark green as the other apple trees. Thinking it could use some fertilizer.

Is there any reason not to feed it now, with fruit on the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feed apple tree now?

May or may not be about N. I don't think any harm would come from spreading a cup of urea or the equivalent under the drip line and watering it in to find out- assuming the soil seems the same as that of other trees, and you can find no physical cause by poking around the soil- particularly near the crown. Different varieties are said to react differently to any given nutritional deficiency in the soil.

If I was to do it I'd either do it right away or wait til Sept. No point in encouraging a late burst of growth.

o

Soil isn't the same. Pretty sterile. I fertilize trees in this area every year because of that.

I did give it a cup of granular. Will see what happens.

o

Update: I already see a distinct improvement in this tree. Leaves are darker green and just look better in all respects. [I also removed about 1/3 of the developing fruits, not to stress it]

Think I'll go feed a couple of the other trees in the same area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here