Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
...Can I eat the fruit from this mysterious tree?

Posted by Syntria none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:18

Hello friends,

I am living in a rental house right now and in the backyard there's this tree that appears to be producing pear like fruit.

I did eat a little bit of one, well chewed and spat a piece out. It didn't taste terrible, though unripe whatever it was.

So, what is this mysterious tree? Edible or not?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ...Can I eat the fruit from this mysterious tree?

maybe quince

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince

o

Looks like quince - is it fuzzy on the outside, very fragrant but hard as a rock?

You have to cook quince, they're too hard to eat raw (not to mention they don't taste good). Probably not ripe yet either - they should be yellower. You don't say what zone you're in, here quince don't ripen until Oct or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: good picture of quince and recipes

o

They are hard as a rock for sure. Squirrels are eating them. They are falling off the tree heavily. I'm in Arlington, Texas. My neighbor says he thinks he remembers a former tenant tell him they were Russel Pears.

I'll go feel if it's fuzzy tomorrow morning. I don't think it is though.

o

If the flowers in spring were white, its more likely a pear. IF they were pink or red, it is more likely a quince. Quince also dont get too tall if I am not mistaken either.

o

The leaves look like my pear tree's. My quince has leaves with rounded ends (no point). The fruit looks like un-ripe pear. They will probably ripen in late August or September if any survive the squirrels.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 13:36

I vote pear as well, not quince.

Congrats on the good fortune to luck into a very healthy looking, producing tree.

o

My guess is a Keiffer pear. If it tastes good in a month it was a grafted pear; if it tastes awful its from seed.

I believe it's edible.

o

Well I shall try it in another month! The tree's pretty large, there's probably 100's of fruits on it. I wanna learn how to graft myself so I can take part of it with me when I leave D:< The trunk is as big around as me so I assume it's pretty old.

o

Agree, it looks like Keiffer - but could be one of any number of sand pear hybrids.
Even in TX, its still a ways off from being ripe. Folks who're used to eating those soft, mushy, cloying Bartlett, Anjou, etc. will denigrate Keiffer as being barely edible, but having grown up in the Deep South, where fireblight is a constant threat, Keiffer and its ilk are bomb-proof, and what a pear is supposed to be, in my mind - firm, juicy, tasty, and, yes, gritty!

o

It looks like a Kieffer to me as well. They will be rock hard until they are ripe even then they will be hard. I prefer them to the soft pears myself. Though you have to peel them to eat them. They also make great pear butter or canning pears. You can also store them for a long time in the fridge.

o

Pears are the easiest to graft to. Lucky will tell you that all you need is a little soft light, music, and a glass of wine, and you're halfway there. Or maybe that's me.

In any event, do learn to graft to your pear. It works.

:-)M

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here