Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newly planted d'anjou pear tree with no leaves

Posted by knightxl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 20:20

Help. My wife got us a d'anjou pear tree and it didn't have any leaves on it, which i found odd and should've probably gone back and exchanged it.
The branches and main stem are green and flexible and there it is white with green membrane inside the stem when i make a small cut in the branches.

It has been planted in the ground for about a week now and no sign of new growth. Is this tree done, should i dig it up and exchange it at Lowes where it was purchased? Or is it just dormant until next spring? Should i feed it something to encourge foliage.

Btw I did get a Bartlett pear tree to pair it with and it has plenty of foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newly planted d'anjou pear tree with no leaves

Was the tree dormant when you bought it? Was it bare-root or potted?

If it was dormant, which is hard to believe at this time of year, you might give it more than a week to leaf out. But certainly not till next spring.

o

It had no leaves when she bought it, she didnt think anything of it, it was the only one available that day. It was potted. Yeah I suppose i'll give it more time, hopefully it will sprout some buds soon.

o

Well, the good thing about Lowes is it should have a one year guarantee from date of purchase, even if its on clearance, so save the receipt (unless you scanned your MyLowes card).

But, since this thing had since probably March in Zone 8 to leaf out and hasn't I would say something is probably wrong with it. Whether or not it comes out of it and grows is hard to say, but the longer they go without breaking the smaller the odds of survival in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here