Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry soil and spacing

Posted by dianezone7ok (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 20:22

My husband has just built me a box that is 8 ft by 2 ft and 2 ft deep to grow blueberries in. Can I get 3 plants in that or is it only big enough for two? I've been reading old posts and it seems Sweetcrisp should grow in my zone (7A central Oklahoma) -- will they cross-pollinate or do I have to have one of something else?

I will be building my own soil for the box. I usually use Mel's Mix from Sq Ft Gardening - 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 spaghnum peat, and 1/3 compost. But that has a pH of about 7. Should I go to 1/2 peat or more? I have lots of pine needles, or for that matter a dried up pine tree I could run through my chipper and mix into the soil. I will mulch with the needles for sure. I will also have access to oak leaves in the fall. I have very alkaline water so I hope I can get lots of rain water.

Can I plant this fall or should I wait until spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry soil and spacing

Hello Diane,
It looks like a good plan.Three should fit in there.
Two Sweetcrisp and another Southern Highbush pollinator like Emerald will work.
Grinding up the old Pine tree,especially the bark will help a lot.Even use it instead of the compost or get some Pine bark mulch from a supplier.
If the plants are real young,it might be best to wait til the temps warm up in the Spring.
Horner's Farms can probably supply the plants.Stay away from Florida Hill Nursery.There still may be a situation of plant identification. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Horner's Farms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here