Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting grapevines in temporary container

Posted by unlimabun 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 20:25

I recently acquired three Concord Grape plants. I have plans for them to permanently reside at the base of a pergola that is not yet built. Although it should be built within the next two years, the area is in no way prepared to accommodate the grapes permanently. I know this is not an ideal solution but I have three very large pots that I decided to plant the grapes in to at least get them growing. I have never grown grapes so I need some advice on what trellis configuration would be the best given the circumstances. I don't mind using something that can later be attached to the legs of the pergola, but I am not sure what would be the best solution.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting grapevines in temporary container

Grapes will be fine in containers for the time being, as long as the containers and potting mix offer good drainage and ample space for developing roots. As for trellis, I'm not certain, but I am guessing 'whatever' will do fine. You'lll be doing plenty of pruning and training of those vines over the years. Whatever configuration they end up in now, you'll be able to adapt it later when they finally end up in their permanent location. And it's always a good policy to root a few cuttings, on the odd chance the vines fail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here