Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designing Fruit Garden on Hill

Posted by kilkoyne 01301 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 20:35

Hi everyone,

I have a steep hill in my backyard (appr 45 degrees) that's currently overgrown with various plants. I'm clearing it now and thinking about planting fruit bushes (blackberries, raspberries, and maybe blueberries).

The area would be appr 80 ft x 30 ft (could go bigger if I needed to) and in direct sunlight. I live in New England and believe the zone is "5". The soil appears sandy.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I be performing soil tests now? Is there a proper way to arrange the plants depending on drainage?

I don't see me actually planting until next year at the ealiest so anything I can do now to prepare will most likely help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designing Fruit Garden on Hill

I can't help much, having never planted a large area of fruit but one thing to watch out for is frost pockets. How does cold air behave on your slope? Is there a spot at the bottom that stays cold long after the rest has thawed? Is there a spot at the top that thaws and refreezes frequently? Is there a spot that gets early morning sun which can damage frozen plants? As well as clearing and preparing the ground I'd spend a lot of time this winter observing how the sun/temperature varies over the slope.

o
RE: Designing Fruit Garden on Hill

• Posted by RedSun Z6 Central NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 0:05

You need to build the bed in the middle of the hill, with stone or other garden structure like railroad ties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here