Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for Sugar Baby watermelons?

Posted by blazeaglory 10 SZ22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 20:37

I just planted about 40 Sugar Baby watermelon seeds. Im hoping to have 60 days of good hot weather. Do you think they will grow alright? Im in southern California

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for Sugar Baby watermelons?

They'll grow fine, question is will the fruit mature to good quality. I'd say you've got a fighting chance because I harvest fruit into October. But you won't have a big harvest, maybe a few fruits. I'm already harvesting 30 lb melons. So you are starting very late.

o

Damn. I was thinking about going for a world record but Ill guess that will have to weight until next year:-)

Fingers crossed. The bag of seeds was given to me by a friend and it showed 30 seeds on the packet but when I counted them it was closer to 45-50. I planted all of them because I didnt know if they would keep in the fridge until next year or not. I should have kept some, oh well.

o

Unless you have a lot of room, you probably planted too many melon seeds. If you get fall Santa Anas, warm or even hot weather could occur into November in Southern California. Along with "June Gloom", that could make the growing season for melons a little different than in most places. Still, it's sort of a gamble on the weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here