Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry question

Posted by RPost78 8A (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 20:42

Any idea what is going on with my blueberry? I have not done anything different to it it just started getting brown on the leaves. Also, are there many types of blueberry? If so, what type is this one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry question

Either water starved or fert burn. Its a SHB of some kind but really know way to tell what vareity untill you get some fruit. Even then its just a eduacated guess. The leaves shape resemble Emerald but there are many varieties with leafs like that. I dont see any mulch in that pot. A 3 to 4 inch layer of course pine bark mulch will do wonders for blueberry in a pot. You should be watering daily at this point in the summer and the mulch will keep it moist and some what cooler in this heat.

o
RE: Blueberry question1

After thinking about it, it could also be some kind of bacterial canker of some kind but more than likely water or fert issues.

o

To me it looks like they dried out...small pots and heat sometimes twice a day watering may be needed.

o

Ok great! Will add some mulch today. I have red mulch, will that work? I think it is pine. I do water it daily, and actually added some fertilizer after it started looking brown. Thanks for the help!

Do I need more than one blueberry plant to pollinate and get berries? I got one blueberry this summer and then a bird ate it! Lol

o

I have seen this on my blueberries and it is due to a couple of possible reasons: one, the roots of the plants are drying quickly therefore mulch is needed, if not already provided. This will help retain uniform moisture that most berries (except grapes) will need to survive.

Another factor is acidity, that causes blueberry roots to be unable to absorb nutrients. Under this situation, no matter how much more fertilizer is added, it will be useless or only marginally useful.

Very similar problems may be found due to iron deficiency in the soil, or due to insufficient acidity.

To cure the second problem, I have found that soil acidifier AND iron chelate added to the area proved to cure the issue.

My recommendation would be to try all 3. Blueberries die really quickly and you do not want to wait and watch.

Hope this helps, and please post back what worked and what did not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here