Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green plums

Posted by alpharetta z7, atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 20:45

Hi everybody,

I went to a Korean grocerry store last weekend and saw "green plums". They taste so sweet and juicy. I have Methley plums in my yard, but these green plums really much more better. The color of these plums is light green - light yellow. Where can I get the plant to grow? What is the real name of these green plums?

Thanks
Alpharetta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green plums

Alpharetta:

Ask them at the Korean grocery store. If they don't know, I don't know what to tell you.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

plant a couple seeds from them and grow your own. i have never had this type, but most plums in stores around here will grow fairly easily.

o

Check at farmer market in atlanta if all else fails they cometo there about mothers day when I was there by bushels local grown. Check on Georgia forums someone there no which to plant.

o

Can you post a picture?.. Perhaps a Korean Plum?
One I grow is called Green Gage, the lighter color yellow in this picture are ready to eat, sweet and juicy.

Photobucket
Konrad

o

There are two kinds of "green plum", the kind you pick early when still quite sour and cook with (common in the south because the green plums such as Robusto are very disease-resistant), and then there are also green varieties to pick at the normal time which is what you bought. Looking at Raintree, they sell Emerald Beaut which sounds a lot like the green one you bought. Also they sell a Persian green plum which is also often picked early like the southern green plums. I have seen those same green plums in the Korean grocery here and they are not Green Gage, they are much bigger and are a Japanese type.

Scott

o

The picture of Konrad looks fantastic. Thanks for posting the pic.

The info from Scott is very useful. Thanks!

The Emerald Beaut Plum looks like this.

Bavay Gage plum looks like this

I want to go with Emerald Beaut because its description: "It continues to sweeten, becoming exceptionally sweet, but it remains crisp and crunchy! The Beaut has green skin, which gets yellower as it fully ripens and yellow/orange freestone flesh"
The only drawback is that it needs a pollinator. I am not sure if my Methley will be a good pollinator for the Emerald Beaut. Beside I will have to plant the new Emerald tree far away from the existing Methley...

o

Hey where can I find a Konrad Plum Tree at? I've tried looking at them online but I cant find anything.... They look tasty!!!

o

It's called Green Gage. I planted one this spring and I heard it could take up to 10yrs to fruit. Patience.

Konrad, how old is your GG?

o

I have about 3 or 4 branches green gage grafted on this plum tree, fruited in the 3rd. year.
There is no fruit this year, all flower buds got killed off by one night of around minus 49F, 45 Celsius
This is the tree, Mt. Royal, Patterson's Pride, Stanley and some others growing on the same tree.

Konrad
Photobucket
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here