Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are blackberry & black raspberry the same??

Posted by chuckby z5NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 20:47

I bought a few plants thinking they were blackberries and when I got home the label read black raspberry. Are they the same thing or are they two different berries? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are blackberry & black raspberry the same??

Chuck:

Blackberries and black raspberries are two, quite different berries. The easiest way to tell the difference is that blackberries come off the canes whole, while black raspberries leave a core, similar to red and yellow raspberries.

They are all good.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

The difference here is about three dollars a quart more for black raspberries at the markets. You'll find the black raspberries more pungent and tangy. I found a patch of wild ones on our property this year. I have thousands of wild blackberry plants, but this is the first year I've found a booty of black raspberries. Their canes look very different from blackberry canes. The new canes are silvery with a frosted look.

o

Most people prefer the taste and lesser relative seed mass of blackberries. Black raspberry plants are also quite prickly.

You may want to go back and get some blackberry plants, but try some of the black raspberry plants also; you may find you like them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here