Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glib_gw

Asian persimmon and juglone

glib
11 years ago

I learned this year that juglone resistance is relative, as I was zero for two with cherries and two for three with peaches, in soil that had been cleared of shrubs over the winter, and in the row nearest the woods. When the nearby woods leafed out I realized that there would be some black walnut residual. Both cherry and peach are rated as juglone resistant, yet the cherry trees croaked before the apples in the row. All trees started well, were planted properly and had ample mulch and water. I have since planted test tomatoes, potatoes, asparagus and petunias to confirm that they, too, would not thrive.

To some extent I knew that juglone resistance is relative, because some of my garlic survives 30 ft from BW and is rated as resistant, but the bulbs are easily 1/5 the size of bulbs grown away from the tree. I guess I just lost a year and a few tens of dollars, but I would like to replant the row with something more juglone resistant. I will replant peaches and cherries in the next row.

Surely american persimmon is resistant, having co-evolved with BW, but what about Japanese persimmon? I have seen enough mild winters in MI that I am willing to try the hardiest Japanese ones, but only if they, too, have resistance. I will till and add organic matter, and place some sort of barrier between orchard and woods. Thanks for any reply.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County