Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my Polaris Blueberry?

Posted by michellethemit 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 21:05

Hello Gardenweb,

I decided to try growing blueberries this year - I have a Polaris and Pink Lemonade plant in my little balcony in Toronto. Currently I'm having a bit of an issue with the Polaris plant: http://imgur.com/a/iKSRY

I've done some research and I'm not sure whether it's fertilizer burn, underwatering or some other problem that I'm not aware of. I've treated the Pink Lemonade plant very similarly and have had no problems with it - I'm aware that cultivar difference can be a really big difference, but I suppose it's good to know that I haven't completely messed up with both plants.

I eagerly await your feedback! Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my Polaris Blueberry?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 21:33

That does look like a salt burn. Any chance those nuts were salted that provided hulls in the pot? Table salt, sodium chloride, is very bad for most plants. Otherwise it could be too much fertilizer. Flush well with rainwater and the plant will be fine.

o

Hello fruitnut,

The nuts were salted, but I rinsed the shells with lots of water beforehand (and did a taste test). Perhaps blueberries are very sensitive to salt? I've used a similar amount of fertilizer in both blueberry pots and the other one seems to be quite happy with its setup. I'll be sure to dump a lot of rainwater on the plant the next chance I get (as well as remove the shells ASAP).

I would love to hear as many opinions as I can regarding my problem. I'm definitely open to suggestions!

o

I have 8 Polaris plants, but without you posting the actual picture, it's hard to say how they differ.

o

Hello northernmn,

I've included a URL to some pictures in my original posting, but I'll post it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imgur photo album

o

The Pink Lemonade plant has some classic signs of iron chlorosis. The lighter green leaf with the darker green veins. This is usually cause by a soil pH that is too high. Have you checked the soil pH? Blueberries do better down in the 4.5 to 5.5 range.

The signs on the Polaris are not as definitive but that could be your problem there as well if they both contain the same soil mix and are watered the same. I'd start with a pH check.

If you find that your soil pH is too high, there are several threads on this forum to correct that.

I have also found that my Polaris plants vary greatly in appearance and vigor even though the variables are exactly the same. My other 1/2 highs; Chippewa, St Cloud, North Blue, and Friendship are more consistent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here