Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted apples ripening a month early

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 21:09

Saw a couple of damaged apples on the Gala tree, pulled them off. Noticed that they pulled off with suspicious ease. I bit into one, and it was edible. Tart, but not unripe-inedible. The other, which was coloring up, also had enough sweetness to eat. If they hadn't been less than 2 inches in diameter.

Normally, the Galas reach this tart-edible stage towards the 2nd half of August, when they are nearing full size.

Beginning to think this is what I'm going to get.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted apples ripening a month early

Well, they bloomed what, 6 weeks early? And, then it was hot, hot, hot, so I guess it's logical they would ripen early. Unfortunately, the drought made them very small. I've observed that sometimes defective fruits ripen first, so maybe the rest will be better.

o

Yes, I've seen a lot of stressed or infested fruits ripening prematurely, in fear they won't otherwise make it. The ones I picked today, although with some sweetness, had a tough unpleasant flesh. I'd feed them to the pigs, if I had pigs. If the squirrels want them, I won't object.

I've been wanting to get out and thin out the bearing trees in hopes the remaining apples would grow larger, but it's just been too hot.

o

The temps having dropped out of the 90s, I went out and thinned about half the fruits from the most-stressed tree. Hope it isn't too late.

o

I wonder if the big boys (apple growers) are having the same issues? You got to wonder around here and then south towards Richland Center (lot of apples grown from this area south) have any way to irrigate? Without giving my trees water I bet they would be near death.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here