Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries.....how many daughter plants?

Posted by Nu_2_Gardening none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 21:23

Hello All,

I am brand new to growing strawberries and have done some reasing and listened to some seasoned vets. Let me tell you what I have done and am doing and then if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I have placed my plants in a raised bed 4'x8' and 12 inches deep. I did not plant them on a mound and I have unprocessed cypress mulch around them. I am pinching off buds this year as I was told I would likely get little fruit anyway and this would promote healthy growth to prep for next year. I went with an everbearing variety.

Silly me, I did not test the "special garden soil" I ordered from a landscaping company before I planted. After a month of little growth and poor color tested the soil and found it devoid of nitrogen and phosphates. So I have had to add some nutrients to the soil and they are thriving now and starting to get suckers....I guess that's what they call them. I plan to let the plants form a cluster and was told to allow about 5 daughter plants off each mother plant. Does that seem about right? I hope to get the daughter sprouts attached to soil soon and was curious about the best method to do that. I have heard I can pull the mulch away from the soil where I went them to root and apply a small stone on the stem close to the foliage end and that will let it root? Is this the best way or are there alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any thoughts you might have and what has worked for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries.....how many daughter plants?

I have never heard about the pinching off of the buds for increased productivity. I'm curious about that one, as I have a new patch this year, too.

From my experience, expecting 5 or so daughters from each mother plant is about right, though I often have some that don't do quite that good.

I also pull the mulch away from the spot where I want the new plant to set at the distance it's decided on. But, I've had good luck just replacing the mulch on top of the sucker stem. As long as the new plantlet is touching the ground and has moisture, it gets the roots in.

I didn't plan quite enough room for all the daughters I'm getting this year, so I'm going to start having them root in plastic yogurt containers to put somewhere else.

o
RE: Strawberries.....how many daughter plants?

Well.....the thought is that if you allow the plant to bloom and fruit its first year, it won't get as big for the second and thrid years when it will really bloom and fruit up. I am thinking that the energy it puts into producing fruit will be put into plant growth. At least that is what I have read and heard. Just corious about practical experience. I will definitely do what you mentioned about getting the daughter plants to root. Thanks for the reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here