Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misc berries, currants

Posted by Ztom 5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 21:24

Here is a picture of some berries I got so far. The white currants are decent fresh. They have a lemon-like flavor. Maybe not great, but I'm already wishing I had some more. (Seems like squishing them instead of chewing is the best way not to taste the seeds.) Boy, the black ones really do have a strange flavor initially! The aftertaste is very pleasant, though. I could get used to them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misc berries, currants

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:58

Cool! Mixing berries for jam is what i do whan I have a low amount. I make an "all jam" every year. This year currents, mulberries, boysenberries, wyeberries, eastern magnolia berries, and tayberries.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 2:26

I made a gooseberry/currant (white and black currants- birds got most of the red ones) jam last year, which was OK, but not that flavorful.

The 14 berry jam (gooseberry/ red, white and black currant/raspberries/strawberries/mulberries/juneberries) I made last year was sweet, but boring.

The blackberry/elderberry jelly was quite good, though the elderberries were a pain to prepare.

This year, I think I'll repeat the BB/EB (if I get enough EB- I pruned pretty hard and I only see a few blooms) and make the black currant on it's own. I don't think white and red currants have as much kick when making jam.

If you do use the white and red currants for jam, don't worry about adding pectin. The berries naturally contain it. I didn't add any pectin and it still set firmer than I would like.

o

'....though the elderberries were a pain to prepare...'. I'm wondering what you did with them, bob_ z6? I just snip the umbels off as near the berries as possible with the scissors. Then they are simplye cooked up and put through a jelly bag.

Regarding blackcurrants - I think that a lot of people in the US are unused to the flavour and are put off after trying them raw. Blackcurrants are a massively popular taste here in the UK but we rarely eat them raw. Red and white currants are also often cooked or, if eaten raw, used with a good deal of sugar.

Red currants make a better jelly than jam due to the pips. It is a tart jelly and is used as an accompaniment to meat rather than as a sweet spread on bread. The colour is a beautiful clear garnet if made well.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 7:53

I use very little sugar when making jam, it's a tough thing to do. But I hate it too sweet. Sometimes I use the calcium based gel, you don't have to use any sugar at all if you wish. Pomona's is the brand name.
Currants are also very good in smoothies, if you don't have enough fruit for jam, that plate is plenty for a couple of smoothies. I like using the greek yogarts in the smoothies. I think Vanilla is awesome.
The red currants go well with coconut. Makes an exceptional smoothie.
Other recipes i use for currants
Red Currant, Nectarine & Thyme Crisps
Red Currant Streusel Bars
Currant and Spice Oatmeal Cookies
red currant chessecake muffins

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 1:27

floral_uk, my daughter and I picked each berry off from the stem before using it. I had read that the stems and other parts of the plant were poisonous, so we were careful to remove it all, even though it took a long time. Is the poison in the stem rendered harmless by the cooking process? If so, it would be a lot easier to use them.

o

Crikey - no wonder it took forever. The stems are not recommended for scoffing but I just trim the bunches very close with scissors and no one's died yet. If you really want to remove every berry use a fork. Same technique works for currants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here