Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Giant Cleveland Flowering pear converted half to multi Asian pear

Tony
9 years ago

I grafted many different Asian pear varieties (Shinko, Shinseiki, Tennosui, Hosui, Green Jade, Lao Suan Li, and Mishirasu) to this tree about 7 yrs ago. Lots of golfers asked me what kind of tree was that. I just smile and said ornamental pear tree.

Tony

Comments (12)

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A different view.

Tony

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

Tony. Nice grafting work. Do you have plans to put more pear varieties on the same tree? I started grafting a wild seedling pear on my property about five years ago. It now has five varieties of pears and three varieties of apple, all on the same tree. Good luck, Bill

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill

Each Spring I try to add one more variety to it. Just a hobby.

Tony

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Tony, what's you're favorite pear?

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Tony, that tree is amazing. Are the pears different shapes and colors? I know zip about Asian pears. What a crop. What will you do with them? Mrs. G

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob,

My favorite Asian pears are Green Jade, Korean Giant, Shinko, Shinseiki(very Juicy and sweet), and Tennosui (does not turn brown after cutting it open).

Tony

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs.G,

They are very juicy and sweet. Nice healthy summer snack. My children loved them. I give some to my in laws and friends. Yes, some of them are greenish, yellow, and russett colors. You should try to grow one.

Tony

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Tony

Could you post photo of whole tree?
    Great to have such a variety of fresh pears, and they look very healthy too.
    (Couldn't resist - are you going for Pear40? - jk)

TIA. Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 10:18

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rina,

I will try to get a photo of the whole tree for you to see after work.

Tony

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rina

Here's what the whole tree looks like.

Tony

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Tony

Thank you for the photo. Very nice tree.
    Is there much more work/concerns about the tree with so many different varieties on?
    How do you decide where exactly you graft next one?
    (I don't have any trees or experience - you probably can tell from my questions...)

Rina

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rina,

The only work I did on this tree was thinning fruits. Too many fruits will snap the branches. I try to graft a new variety anywhere to balance the tree structure. Pear is one of the easiest tree to graft. I choose my varieties from the USDA Corvallis. Scion woods are free and just have to pay for Fedex shipping. They asked you for a reason to obtain the scion woods and I usally told them for a cold hardy trail in Zone 5. In about 5 years then I email them the results.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA / Corvallis