Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gala apples picked early

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 21:29

To save some young branches that were half broken I just had to clip off 7-8 apples from a containerized Gala apple tree. I read that they are supposed to be ripe in mid Aug, about two weeks from now. These apples are green, a few with a little blush of color.

I wonder if these apples are or will be edible and if there's anything I can do to make them more so. Or can they be cooked/baked to get some use out of them. Any ideas?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gala apples picked early

At room temp apples will convert some of their starches to sugar- a week should accomplish this, but really green apples are only useful for cooking, IMO.

o
RE: Gala apples picked early

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 5:19

I've had these small apples sitting at room temperature for two weeks, and just tried one. It was edible, no sourness at all...but not as sweet as organic Gala's I've bought at the local coop. Strangely (but very nice) it had a very distinct cinnamon taste. I wonder if this was the result of the early picking or is this an unusual Gala apple tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here