Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear leaves

Posted by goudreau Me (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 21:30

Wondering whats on my summercrisp pear tree leaves; the pears themselves are doing great but the leaves seem to be suffering.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear leaves

Google "pear blister mites"... Looks like that could be your issue. Red spotting on brand new leaves, turning to black later?

o

That sounds like it. It is hitting the summercrisp the worst and bartlett the least. I was seeing if I could do my pears spray-free but looks like I may need to rethink that.

o

Blister mites can be treated with an organic spray. Do the small new leaves have red blisters on them? It could be fabrea leaf spot as well, but I think that would be affecting your fruit.

o

I have almost the exact samething on my bartlett, and a lesser extent on my Asian pears this year. Ill check them again this weekend but from memory that is what I have. I thought it was very early stages and very light case of fire blight. Sooooo much to learn on my part.

Anyone know if Triazicide once and done takes care of this critter?

o

I had something similar on my apple/pear trees. The only thing is, it started after we got 3 months of rain in 2 weeks, so I assumed it may be some sort of fungus.

I sprayed the trees with a mix of dishsoap and water, and since then all new growth has been free of the blotching. Either the soap did something to the fungus, or it was a bug infestation I got rid of.

My neighbor only sprays once a year, and never has problems. He uses organic sprays

o

Soap, oil, and sulphur are all good remedies for blister mite. I find sulphur is best for stubborn cases, it shuts them down for the season. Spray just before the leaves come out in the tree .. there is a reason for the phrase "nip it in the bud" :-)

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here