Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my blueberry bushes

Posted by mmckey2 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:31

I have 4 blueberry bushes that were planted 6 months or so ago. The new growth on a few of them has these little guys on the under side of the leaves. They do not look like any aphids I have ever seen, does anyone know what they are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my blueberry bushes

Also, a lot of the older growth looks spotty and raggedy like this, any idea what is causing this as well?

o

I dont know what that is but i would recommend getting a fungicide for them. There is one a lowes in a red bottle. It is a concentrate and you dilute it with water.

Try something.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 23:12

The top picture is some kind of insect eggs. Scrape them off or pull off those leaves.

This late in summer a fungicide probably won't do much good. Next yr if needed spray at the first sign of this issue. Also your plant looks like it might be short on fertilizer. Are there any green leaves? If not apply more fertilizer next yr. Not just any fertilizer but one high in nitrogen and intended for acid loving plants.

o

Don't know where you live, but perhaps this pub will help you -- click the link, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing blueberries

o

Thanks for the tips! This problem only reared its head in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I am figuring it must be because it rained for about 3 weeks straight before that. As far as planting, when I planted these bushes, I dug holes about 2-3 feet across and filled them with 60% peat moss 20% compost 20% the dirt that came out of the holes. I did mess up and fertilize them recently (less than a week ago) with regular 10-10-10 fertilizer, so I wont do that again, hope it does not harm them too much. I am in Louisiana by the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here