Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these grapes okay to eat? :)

Posted by silent88 So cal (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 21:33

My red flame seedless grapes I posted about before started getting a black mold on some :x I was waiting the 3 weeks for them to be very ripe but picked them about a week early because I didn't want it to grow anymore. It seemed to all wash off but some of the grapes have blacky stuff like stuck to the skin. Like the picture. Can I eat these? I think I've seen it on store bought grapes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these grapes okay to eat? :)

Have you ID'd the mold and it's cause? We have gotten powdery mildew on ours, but it's not black. Not sure what you've got on yours.

Where in So CA are you? We lived on a golf course in the hot desert, and because they watered so much, the wind would blow those sprinklers over to our grapevines and they were damp when they shouldn't have been.

Grapes like to be dry above ground, and they love heat. We moved away from that unusually damp place onto dry ground and the grapes love it here!

I think you could eat them, but if they aren't ripe, they won't taste good. Powdery mildew affects grapes by giving them a bad flavor, but you can still eat them.

You can click on the link below and maybe identify what is wrong with your grapes and how to prevent it in the future.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Pest Management Guidelines

o
RE: Are these grapes okay to eat? :)

I honesty can't tell. It's just sort of a dark colored mold that's growing on even some of the new shoots. I ate a few earlier and I'm fine, but I still don't want to be eating mold!

I'm about a little less than a mile from the ocean in southern Orange County.

They taste fine, could be a little sweeter but either way store-bought quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here