Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OFM not supposed to be here

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 21:41

But it clearly is. I found damage to my plums that can't really be anything else.

The state extension service monitors the usual pests, and they don't report any sightings of OFM in northern IL. Trusting them, I didn't do anything about the possibility. And of course, with no reports or biofix, I wouldn't have been prepared to.

Fortunately ??? the Japanese beetles showed up, so maybe the spray I applied for them will have done some good agains the other pest.

But it would have been nice to know before I saw the damage to my fruit.

[I emailed the address supposed to be the guy who covers my county. The message bounced.]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OFM not supposed to be here

Can you try the local dendro dept in the uni or college?

o

Well, I called the extension office. No one is there, of course, but they say they'll get back to me.

o

Updating this post as of possible interest to growers in the Chicago region and north.

I contacted the IL state entomologist, who says they don't monitor for OFM in this part of the state, on account of they aren't supposed to be here. He looked at the specimens of larvae I sent and declared them not to be OFM but some sort of weevil, like plum curculio.

He also says we don't get a 2nd generation of PC here in this part of the state, which leaves me as baffled as when I began.

There weren't any egg-laying scars such as PC make on the infested fruits.

I've had this damage before in my Stanley plums, never before in the Japanese - which haven't had a proper fruiting season before this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here