Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting impact on annual bearing

Posted by oldryder MN (4) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:44

I've got a few Lodi trees that have done very well and bear annually. unfortunately I'm not all that wild about the apples. If I take grafts from a preferred tree that only bears every other year will the grafts bear annually?

as always thx for info and advice.
Mark in MN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting impact on annual bearing

Mark, biennialism in apples is not so much a genetic trait (although some varieties seem prone to it, it's true) as a cultural one. Your new branches from a favored tree should be well-behaved if you manage them well.

First off, thin your tree ruthlessly. On my Liberty I have to thin five or six apples from each cluster to get down to one apple, and then I often remove half of the remaining apples. Second, thin early- right after fruit set. I think some people even remove some of the blossoms before fruit set.

I hope that helps.

Good luck,

Mark

o
RE: Grafting impact on annual bearing

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 22:27

Grafting a biennial bearer onto an annual bearer won't change bearing habit. You'll need to do as Mark suggests in order to get apples every year. Or at least to improve chances of annual bearing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here