Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyappletree

Apple Tree Identification Help

JohnnyAppleTree
10 years ago

Trying to figure out what type of apple tree this is. Just bought a new house and we have four of these trees producing but are not sure if it's worth investing money into protecting them from ants, flies, or general bugs. Any help help would be great, thanks guys.

Comments (12)

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clear Pic of leaves

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in dire need of help here. I have seen multiple responses of clear knowledge on this forum. The mother in law is coming up in a week and the wife has explained we have apple trees producing. My mother in law is a fabulous pie chef and she wants to know what kind of apples we have growing... Any help would be great. I've lived in an apartment since leaving my parents house (7 years ago) and now have a love of growing and taking care of fruits and vegetable plants since moving in. I'm sure i may be naive with my pics and description so if more info is needed, please met me know. Thanks again guys.

• megamav
    10 years ago

Too early to tell.
    Has a Delicious shape, thats about it.
    Check back in 2 months.

• quillfred
    10 years ago

I realize you live in a large state but a search turned up this group: http://www.mfvga.org/. I would recommend contacting them first as many of these clubs are able to identify varieties when apples are brought to them or help you locate a closer group.

If you aren't able to bring apples to be I.D. then here is a link from our own group who has set up framework for you to do the detective work:

http://www.seattletreefruitsociety.com/appleid.php
    Q

• dmtaylor
    10 years ago

I bet your apples will be great for pies, regardless of the variety. Most standard apples are acceptable for pies, sauce, and juice. It's the fresh eating in hand that people get most picky about.

Unless you're a scientist with knowledge and easy access to DNA analysis techniques, you won't be able to determine what variety your apples are until they ripen, and even then it is only an educated guess.

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys for all the posts, I now know you basically won't know til there ripe but I figured I'd reply to eboone. At the very least I might find out if there more than likley edible. (For most people) and maybe some possibilities.

1. I live in Central Minnesota
    2. The tree is roughly 13ft tall.
    3. The house was built in 1989.
    4. Trees are about the same size with the same size fruit as of now.
    5. It is just a backyard orchard. (If you want to call it an orchard)

Again, I'll probably have to wait til fall to find out but maybe someone will have an inkling. Thanks again everyone.

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last Pic till the ripened fruit. Bases of apple trees more than likely all look the same but I have now clue. Maybe it helps, maybe not. Thanks Again.

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a updated photo of an apple I picked yesterday. Any indication of what it could be yet?

• JohnnyAppleTree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also I have a concern. Right after I picked this apple, (came off very easily) I cut it opened and noticed this...What could it be? Tasted bad and did not have but maybe 30 seconds from being cut and getting a picture taken to spoil. The brown was already there. Any ideas?

• hannah9880
    10 years ago

It resembles a Duchess I picked yesterday.

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

jonnyappletree:

Since the apple is ripe now and you are in central Minnesota I will assume it is some early ripening cold hardy variety. Beacon? Not sure from the picture.

If this tissue browing occured on later season apples in
    storage it would be from a calcium issue (water core, internal cork).

However I have seen this sometimes on summer apples.
    Some years they are great and other years the fruit looks good but the flesh is all brown. Many years ago
    I recall picking Viking in late July. One year it was good
    and the next year I picked none as all were brown inside.

Another issue is that some early season apples do not keep long. Good examples are Beacon and Yellow Transparent. Great for 3 days then turn to mush.

Are all the apples on the tree like this? Just wondering if
    they are over-ripe or if it is some calcium issue? I am not sure. Just my thoughts on some possibilities.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

It's hard to say, ..I have one which looks about the same is called Harcourt, I don't like the taste but some people do.
    Maybe the brown spots could be from apple maggots.