davids10

i am a fool for nectarines

davids10 z7a nv.
9 years ago

nectarine pie with nectarine ice cream-oh my lord

Comments (13)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Don't need pie or ice cream here. Enjoy them as nature made'um.

{{gwi:121831}}

Here's what my good ones look like. Covered in sugar speckling.

{{gwi:121832}}

{{gwi:121833}}

9 years ago

This is my all time favorite nectarine photo. The best ones almost always have the sugar dots. Smooth skinned and even color indicates over watering and low brix/flavor.

{{gwi:121834}}

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

FN, I'm not sure I ever want to try one of your nectarines- I might never again be satisfied with the watered down northeastern version, although the ones I grow have much higher flavor than what I can buy here.

Still, you should supply a photo of one sliced open. Imagining what they taste like probably won't spoil me.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I wish I had a crop this year we are so bone dry! No green grass around here. I myself will take the ice cram and pie. It's funny I can only eat so many fresh. Probably because I never had one like Fruitnut's! Well at least I get to harvest blueberries and blackberries today. Our store blueberries though are petty good, state grown. Cheap too, picked up 2 pounds for 4 dollars. I need them for jam, mine are eaten fresh. They'll never last long enough for jam. Toro and Liberty, waiting on Chandler, next week for that cultivar.Liberty is supposed to be later but berries are ripening now. Toro is really sweet even green berries are sweet.
    The new plants are doing really well Sweet Crisp, Legacy, Southmoon, Cara's Choice. Sweetcrisp had weak growth, it is forming stronger canes now, but the weak growth will hold it back. Just glad I got one, I'll deal with the poor example sent.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Wish I could grow them here. I've tried. Too much disease pressure.

• Tony
    9 years ago

Fn,

Last year my Snow Queen nectarine was exceptional. I would love to try out the Artic Star and Honey Blaze or Royale series.

Tony

9 years ago

Tony:

If anybody could you could grow those in your climate. No harder to grow than Snow Queen. Let me know if you need any scion wood this winter.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Perfect as always, and as usual an inspiration to view. Wow!!!! I think you should turn your tunnel into a condo! Mrs. G

• Tony
    9 years ago

FN,

Thx.

Tony

• olpea
    9 years ago

"Don't need pie or ice cream here. Enjoy them as nature made'um."

Actually, nature didn't breed them to be sweet, but I know what you mean Fruitnut.

I doubt peaches were very sweet when man originally cultivated them 3000+ years ago. Sort of like corn when it was first cultivated, more or less a grass with a head.

Not trying to be pedant, just offering some history to those interested.

Like everyone else, I envy you, that you can grow fruit so consistently sweet. In 2012 we had an extremely dry year and the fruit was very sweet to the point it was somewhat bitter on later varieties. But that's a rare thing. Most years I have to watch the pickings of early varieties very carefully, so I don't sell watered down fruit (later varieties don't seem to be as problematic, probably because it's hotter and drier in the later summer).

I'm excited about nects. I have 10+ varieties of nects planted now. If they are anything like smooth skinned plums, I'll have to watch them very carefully. OFM and PC love those smooth skins.

Selling a few Redhavens now. Nice size and good sweet flavor. Redhaven is very good as grown here.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I just made a new nectarine find this year: John Rivers produced some great fruits for me, with no rotting problems. Unfortunately it is close to the property edge and the squirrels got almost all of them.

Looking it up, JR was the most popular nectarine in California for many years. It is a white nectarine and when the yellow ones got popular it got sidelined. It is extremely sweet with really good flavor. Besides the downside of being white when yellow was the popular rage, it is also small in size.

Scott

• franktank232
    9 years ago

WalMart (yeah..i know...they do seem to have the best local stonefruit IMO) had some very large yellow fleshed nectarines that were some of the best store bought stonefruit i've ever had. They were huge..sweet... no way would i need any sweeter. Perfect. California drought must be helping things?

I kept some seed. My issue here is brown rot/pc ...must grow them under plastic, which i plan to do.

• Steve357
    9 years ago

Great looking nectarines fruitnut!! Mine are just about done, sadly the birds got to most of them. I did have a good crops of Freckle Face, a few double delight and a couple Arctic Jays (delicious) Oh yeah, I also had a bunch of Sauzee Kings, but those are long gone.

Here is a pic of Freckle Face from about a month ago:

This post was edited by Steve357 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:06

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area