Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mes111

Copper confusion

mes111
10 years ago

OK. So I have following copper formulations and I am getting confused.
1. COPPER DIAMMONIA DIACETATE COMPLEX
2. COPPER OCTANOATE
3. COPPER SULFATE

Recommendations for"copper" don't differentiate. So... What is the difference between these and in their uses?

THANX, Mike

Comments (9)

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Copper spray is usually either copper sulphate, the classic formulation, or copper hydroxide, the more modern one found in Kocide, Champion, etc. Is that what you are asking?

Scott

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scott,

The thing is that I have three different copper compounds, the last two are both from Bonide. The first is from SA SOUTHERN AG.

So my q is.... What is the difference between these different formulations? Are they used for different conditions? Why would Bonide carry two different formulations?

I have all three but am getting confused as to whether they are all for the same diseases but different formulations are to be used under different conditions for the same diseases.

I guess my question is "Is copper just copper?"

Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 7:55

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

In some sense, copper is just copper, they are all similar. On the other hand there are subtle advantages of one kind over another. I use Kocide 3000 because it uses a special micronized particle formulation that allows less copper to be used to get the same effect. I don't know the details on the other kinds you mention. Google says the Octanoate is a soap so it sounds like that one is a combo of disease and bug killer?

Scott

• ericwi
    10 years ago

I don't use copper on our garden or blueberry shrubs, but I do know some chemistry that pertains. Copper sulfate is water soluble, and therefore it can be expected to wash off in the first significant rainstorm event. Soaps are generally sticky, and resist washing off to some extent. I would expect a soap to stay on the tree for a greater length of time.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

MSU might be able to help us:

link

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You can add a sticker to Copper sulfate to make it stay longer. Also you can use CS to make a Bordeaux mixture.

From UC:
    "Copper sulfate is not a fixed copper and, when used alone, is less effective than tribasic copper sulfate or other fixed copper products. However, if copper sulfate is mixed with hydrated lime to make a Bordeaux mixture, the copper sulfate and calcium in the lime react together to form a fixed copper product that is effective against peach leaf curl."

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Labels come with all pesticides.

Each label describes how to use, how to apply, and how to dilute that particular product.

• mes111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx:

Every day you learn something new is a good day.... Today is a great day

Mike

• wvonlubbe
    6 years ago

Question: Is Copper diamonnium diacetate, if used on ornamentals and citrus as directed,i.e 1 oz. of 27.1 % per gallon, toxic to honey bees? Thanks to anyone who has info on this.

Bill