Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds for sase???

Posted by Jane269 6a/b WV (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 21:55

Recently moved from MI to WV and now have almost an acre to plant on looking for seeds for apple, pear, plum, peach and cherry, as well as any berry trees. Would appreciate any help - home updating kinda broke us. thanx a bunches :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds for sase???

I am probably not the best one in this forum to explain this to you, but seeing as how nobody else has posted yet... I can mainly speak for apples, as that is where my interest lies, although other fruits are often are similar in the way they are grown.

Unfortunately apples from seed is not the way to go, unless u want them for feeding the deer. To get a specific variety of apple you need one that has been grafted from a parent tree onto a rootstock that is known to have certain characteristics that are what you are looking for. Of course, you need to choose a tree type that suits what you want, not what works for others so consider the space you have available, how many trees you want in that space, what size of tree you are willing to manage, as well as what varieties are able to be grown in your area. Consider varieties that are more disease resistant if you are a beginner and not wanting to spray (organic is an option, but in my opinion lackluster and can be very frustrating) But planting a tree can be a long term investment, you want to get it right the first time to reach your harvest with minimal delay. Talk to a local who has some valid experience. Stop by an orchard this fall and taste some different apples to see what you like. If you can, talk with the owner about their trees. Most people love to talk to someone who is interested. Google any questions, but don't trust the first answer. Post your questions here. We have some real experts who are willing to offer advice. Sometimes there is a difference in opinion or methodology, but it will give you some options. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here