Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach twig borer

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 21:59

Hi all,

My stone fruit trees have been descimated this year by peach twig borer. I tried 5 applications a week apart of spinosad last month, but they are back with a vengeance. This season seems futile. How can I prevent this for next season?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach twig borer

I lost two trees years ago, because I didn't use triazicide. I know many in this forum are going back to Imidan, and if I could find it I too would use it. But I have very good results with Triaz. My next spray goes on this weekend. Borers are the worst. They are very difficult to kill and killed two three year old trees of mine. Ugh hate them to this day!

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 23:19

You need to start spraying early, around bloom time. They aren't that hard to kill around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach twig borer management

o

Thanks guys.

Fruitnut, do you use spinosad on them? Does Hort oil kill the overwinter eggs? I will start spinosad next year starting bloom time. Can you share your spray regiment?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 18:22

I allowed them to gain a foothold in my greenhouse one year. The next spring I knocked them out with a few sprays. Think I used dormant oil and BT but may have included an insecticide. Now I have learned how to keep them out and haven't had further problems.

Outdoors I'd have to spray every year.

o

Any way to avoid spraying but cutting off the tips before they go in too far? I only have 5 trees to worry about so it's easy enough to watch them and prune off the part with the borer. That's what iv'e done so far but this is my 1st year.

o

Does cutting off the affected branch tips right away get rid of the larvae? I found a few flagged tips that I must have overlooked when I sprayed 2 weeks ago and cut several open, found no larvae there. How long do the critters stay in the shoots before moving on? (I actually suspect mine were OFM, not peach twig borer)

o

eboone, were your tips hollowed out? Mine were and there were larvae in them. I don't know much about this yet but it would seem if they are not hollowed out that it's not twig borer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here