Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of cherries are these?

Posted by AiliDeSpain 6a - Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 22:01

Can anyone identify what kind of cherries these are? They are from a tree/bush in the side yard of an abandoned house next door. The green things are apples so disregard them. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of cherries are these?

Call me crazy, but those are no cherries at all...

They are probably some type of plum (that just happens to be the size of a cherry), since cherries are rarely that round, have so small an indentation where the stem connects, and come free of the stem so cleanly. Also the coloring/spotting, etc... would be very unusual for a cherry. If you're not convinced, do a google image search for different types of cherries.

Don't let the size fool you, even among wild cherries and plums there is some size overlap...

o

Agree...taste them.

o

I have tasted them, they are sweet but do not t taste like a cherry,they do kind of taste like a plum, but being the size of s cherry I didn't think they were plums.

o

Could they be cherry plums?

o

They look a lot like some "Sierra" plums I had at a CRFG meeting last weekend. If so, they are a selection of wild plum which has been around for a long time. Those look kind of small, but that could be culture. The ones I had were delicious. Gotta find some scion wood!

o

If they're wild; they should come true if you plant the seeds.

o

There's "wild" and theres wild. "Sierra" is a particularly good selection of wild plum. So Nature has done some playing around with it perhaps, either through natural hybridization or mutation. It *might* come true from seed.

Several vendors offer trees. The Arboreum.biz and Sanhedrin (though I think they don't currently have any).

This post was edited by steve_in_los_osos on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:34

o

Well whatever they are they make a good jam. I used a cherry plum jam recipe and canned 8 half pints and I still have enough to make another batch. :)

o

Please post a picture of the plant -- overall and close-up

o

Aili - how do you deal with the plum pits?

I find it the very devil to get the pit out of clingstone plums.

o

When making jam you heat the whole recipe then take it off the heat, run the plums through a colander then I hand squeezed all the plums and removed the pits by hand. It was a huge pain in the arse but the jam turned out good!!

I will try to post a picture of the tree later.

o

Yeah, that huge pain part is what I'd like to eliminate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here