Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what fruit trees are these?

Posted by fruitwhat none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:03

Hello, we have these two trees in our backyard that just started blooming some types of fruit. We cant figure what they are and hoping you can help identify. We thought the green one was an avocado but when we cut it open there were several small seeds.

Thanks Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what fruit trees are these?

Tree two

o

Picture number two is a guava tree (fruit) (Genus: Psidium). They are native to Latin America; in Spanish they are called Guallavas. They can be eaten raw, juice, dried, candied, fruit bars, and fruit punch. The seeds are edible too.

They are ready to eat until the skin turns yellow; depending on the variety, the flesh is either white or red.

One more fact: They are very popular in Hispanic Markets and expensive too, the average price for a pound is $1.99.

o

Picture number one: It looks like a pistachio tree.

o

I think # 1 is a curry leaf tree. Lucky you if it is! If you like Indian food. :). You do not make the thick curry sauces with it but you do flavor Indian dishes with a leaf or two sizzled in hot oil.

If you go onto Allrecipes.com and enter curry leaf into the search box...neat recipes will come up.

Also, you could go onto the Asian section of garden web for a more positve ID. I may be wrong but it looks exactly like my little plant that I searched high and low for and then paid a pretty penny for it.

o

Addendum....Curry Leaf tree is Murraya Koenigii. You don't eat the fruits/seeds.

Also, I meant Asian Vegetable section :) Jude

o

Thank you all for the quick replies! Looks like we have some homework to do on recipes before they rippen!

o

You could also make guava jelly, guava preserves, and the most common recipe... guava juice. Or just eat them raw.

o

Hi Fruitwhat, you are one lucky person.

I concur with heyjude and weatherman, first tree is a curry leaf tree (Murraya koenigii) and second is Guava tree. Both are tropical trees and many folks including me love to have them in the backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: curry leaf tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here