Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with my apples?

Posted by oberon north central (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 22:15

Good evening all,

I have three relatively young dwarf apple trees in my yard.

All of them are full of apples, but the apples on one of the three are all turning brown (scale) and the skin is cracking.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with my apples?

That's called apple scab. It's a disease that afflicts some varieties more than others. You must have one variety that is particularly susceptible. I believe there are sprays or ways to minimize it but I am not an expert. Look into it. It's scab.

o
RE: what's wrong with my apples?

The brown is called russetting. The cracks could be scab. Are there brown splotches on the leaves, as well?

If it's scab, it can be treated preventively in the spring, around blooming time.

I'd like to see another opinion, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here