Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiowa or Black Butte

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 22:16

I'm looking to add an extra large blackberry to the mix. I have heard good things about the Kiowa but don't know much about the Black Butte. I'd like to hear opinions on both, especially from folks that may have experience with both.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiowa or Black Butte

I grow Kiowa (among others) and it produces a good flavored large blackberry. Mine average about 13g in size. For comparison, wild blackberries, at least here in KY average around 3-4g in size. I have not grown Black Butte but from the comments I have read on this forum, Kiowa is a better choice, especially in the south.

o

Yeah, I'm finding better reviews on Kiowa. That's probably what I will go with. Thanks for the comment!

o

Ive not been real impressed with Kiowa for flavor. Seem to be more sour than anything. Im in the process of getting rid of Kiowa and replacing with Tupi which is a much better berry at least in my neck of the woods.

o

Love my Kiowas - biggest berry I've ever grown, and very productive - but thorny as hell! Thinking about trying a few Chickasaw, as well - but Tupi sounds intriguing; don't know much about availability on it, though.
Have not even seen Black Butte mentioned in any discussion threads in years - was getting favorable reviews for a while, but then just seemed to drop out of sight.

bb1977, you might need to leave 'em on the cane an extra day or so once they reach full color. to ripen a bit more, if they're too sour for you.

o

Yeah, the Kiowas are very thorny. They also spread very quickly. Of the six varieties I have, Kiowas have spread the most and put up the most new shoots, similar to running bamboo. If you want to cover an area quickly, they'd be great. But, I'd keep them away from anything you don't want them getting into. Did I mention they are very thorny? :)

o

From what I've read, the Kiowas are erect and self supporting. Do you maintain your plants this way or do you trellis them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here