Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat Wonderful peach

Posted by tonytran 5A Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:20

Finally got a good crops of Flat Wonderful peach. Sweet and good. Yellow cling stone.

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat Wonderful peach

Nice!

I tried some Galaxy the other day and we really liked them. Made me start thinking about other peaches to plant next spring.

o

Good to hear. I just put a Flat Wonderful in the ground this year. It is a very attractive tree.

o

Rawley,

I liked the reddish leaves. Good looking tree.

Tony

o

Thats funny that peach looks like my Tangos. My Flat Wonderful had lots of red streaks on them. FW was not very sweet for me. Tangos is coming in now for me, its nice and sweet.

Scott

o

Scott,

I just planted a Tangos this spring. I have to wait a couple of years to compare the two.

Tony

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 22:12

"Thats funny that peach looks like my Tangos. My Flat Wonderful had lots of red streaks on them. "

That was my first thought too, when I saw Tony's picture. I picked the first TangOs of the season today. Looks like Tony's pic.

My Flat Wonderful also have red streaks. Here they taste pretty decent for an early peach.

All that said, Tony, your peach is probably Flat Wonderful. I doubt you would be harvesting TangOs at the same time I do here in KS. Plus, if your tree has red foliage, it's almost certainly a Flat Wonderful. I have a lot of peach varieties and Flat Wonderful is the only one w/ red foliage.

o

Olpea,

My Tangos leaves are green and FW leaves are red. I may have a sport of Flat Wonderful?

Tony

o

I believe Tangos and Flat Wonderful are both Rutgers projects.
That might explain the similarities.
I have Tangos and Tangos2 and hopefully will have fruit in a year or two.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 23:07

Tony,

It's possible it's a sport, but probably just some weather/climate variability. I get a lot of variability in the amount of red in peaches, based on location in the canopy and the weather during fruit swell.

If all the peaches on the tree, or that particular branch continue to be orange/yellow then it probably is a sport.

GD is correct. Both TangOs and Flat Wonderful are out of the NJ breeding program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here