Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Apple Rust treatment?

Posted by grovestead 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 22:24

We planted 12 apple trees (mixed variety) this spring, about 2 months ago and I am seeing signs of cedar apple rust (rust-colored spots on leaves), if my research is correct.

Since this is a new planting I removed most of the apple blossoms and didn't get around to spraying until just 2 weeks ago. I am using Bonide Fruit Tree spray.

My question is: 1) what is effective treatment (spray) for CAR? and 2) does it matter to spray anymore if i don't plan to harvest apples and my trees already have CAR? (in other words, should i just wait until treating until next spring or will it make a difference to treat CAR this year?)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Apple Rust treatment?

Wait til next spring.

Get a better treatment than the Bonide spray.

o

If it is just random appearances don't worry about it. But if it wants to kill all of the leaves then get more serious.

You can knock it back with baking soda at the rate of 1//4 cup per gallon. But you have to reapply after each rain.

Dormant oil spray in the spring is the thing to do.

o

Can you elaborate on treatment options? Is there a fruit spray that will handle CAR as well?

o

The fungicide in the Bonide spray is Captan. It isn't effective against CAR.

When you use a multipurpose spray, you're limited in when you can use it because it can't be sprayed during bloom, because of the bees. If I could do one thing to improve growing, it would be eliminating the Bonide multipurpose spray.

A much better product is Immunox, the fungicide-only formulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here