Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pantichd

Why won't my blueberry bushes grow?

pantichd
9 years ago

Hello,

I planted two blueberry bushes 3 years ago. The first year I didn't expect anything because I planted them in mid summer. The next year there were a few berries but I figured that was because it hadn't been a full year yet.

Well, this year there were even fewer berries and the bushes haven't grown at all since I planted them.

I have blackberries and rasberries in the same area and those are thriving. Do blueberries need something special that's different from other berry plants?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (15)

• pantichd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of one of the bushes.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Your bushes need more nitrogen. I needs to be organic or a type specifically for acid loving plants. The more you apply the faster they grow up to a point. But the plants are easily damaged by excessive high salt fertilizers. So apply things like 21-0-0, ammonium sulfate, carefully. Do a search here and you can find many past threads on fertilizing blueberries.

• speedster1
    9 years ago

I have the same problem although mine are producing lots of berries this year. My bushes are 3 years old but really haven't grown vertically like I'd expect them to. I see a lot of pics on here of people with their 1 and 2 year old blueberries that look like they are up to their waist or even chest. Mine barely reach my knees. I planted mine in full sun not far from 7 spruce trees. I tested the soil there when I bought the house 5 years ago and the pH was around 6.1

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Might as well pull out that little oak seedling growing there, too.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Most plants grow fine even if you do nothing, but as fruitnut said nitrogen is the key. These plants require large amounts to grow well. Use the Ammonium sulfate!
    An alternative with a more balanced approach is using
    Jacks Classic Acid Special Fertilizer

9 years ago

speedster:

Water and correct pH are the other pillars that build a big blueberry plant. The OP could also have issues with too little water. His pH is probably OK based on lack of chlorotic leaves.

Any new or little plant growing next to a big tree needs extra care, as in extra water and fertilizer, to grow well. The big tree usually has massive roots that suck up everything needed to grow.

• speedster1
    9 years ago

I did a little reading and most of what I read says to put down ammonium sulfate in the spring. Would it be okay to put some down right now even with berries on the bush?

I was wondering how the Holly Tone fert for acid loving plants would work that I can buy at Lowes?
    I have Southern States Coop and Lowes in my town. Neither sell the Jacks Classic fert but southern states sells ammonium sulfate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly Tone

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Holly-tone is awesome contains microbes, and sulfur, yes, you can use it. Best for in ground plants.
    It is getting near time though to stop fertilizers. I did one more dose yesterday, I'm done till the spring.

9 years ago

I haven't used Hollytone but many people do successfully. It's a lot safer than ammonium sulfate. The later is safe if dissolved first at a modest concentration. I got my fastest growth in pots by mixing 1 teaspoon per 2.5 gallons and applying once a week. In ground once a month should do. Small frequent doses are much safer than one large shot. Right now I'm mixing 1 ml per gallon which is, I think, a fair amount less than rate above.

Where I've burned plants with ammonium sulfate is applying it dry at excessive rates and watering in. That can fry the roots.

PS: A teaspoon is 5 ml. So rates above are 2 ml per gallon vs 1 ml per gallon.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 12:00

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

Used coffee grounds are good. It acidifies the soil and caffeine is natural pesticide produced by some plants.

• inkfin
    9 years ago

Fruitnut,
    What is the stock concentration of ammonium sulfate when you use 1 ml per gallon as ammonium sulfate does not come in liquid (at least not that I know of).

This post was edited by Inkfin on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 12:12

• speedster1
    9 years ago

I just got back from the store and picked up the Holly Tone Acidifier. They also had the Aluminum Sulfate but I felt for a novice the Holly Tone might be more forgiving and less risky. They did not have the soil test kits so I'll have to order some and once I determine how acidic my soil is I'll have an idea how much of the Holly Tone I should use. Obvious from the comments it seems like it's getting a little late in the year to apply fertilizer so I'll try to apply it this week.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Blueberries take 3 years before they start to produce. That is why it is worth paying more for a cultivar listed as 3 yr or 3 gal. Why wait just to save a few bucks?

An as was said, they are serious nitrogen users!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah give them a good dose, follow label directions. We still have a good 6-8 weeks. The reason we stop is so the plants begin to harden off for the winter. I noticed my new growth on my currant plants has turned woody brown. They are already preparing.