Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my Asian pears cracking?

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:27

I have a 'Shinko' Asian pear tree on Betulifolia rootstock. Last year I lost all the pears to cracking. this year, just a few have cracked, but I'm worried the rest will follow. The pears look fine otherwise. I have a Seckel European pear that gets scab, which makes the fruit crack, but those fruit are covered with the fungus. I don't see any such thing on the Asian pears. Rain has been good this year, so I don't think it's related to drought stress. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my Asian pears cracking?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:01

Yes they crack because they swell up with too much water. I've taken out a couple varieties that were especially prone to split. Other than that you could try to keep an even water level. But here it's just a big rain and they can split.

o

FN is correct and if you are getting the rain I'm getting it's been a lot, although I've not seen any cracking on the varieties of A. pears I'm managing. I suspect the smooth and thin skinned 20th century would be susceptible, but you may also be getting longer wet periods than we are. Or your tree might not be in full sun, which makes cracking worse.

Graft a couple other varieties on the tree and enjoy a wider span of harvest, more variety and maybe less susceptibility to cracking. I suggest Korean Giant for your area.

o

Alex

We get lots of rain here every spring and my 20th Century Asian pear cracked every year. I top worked it into another Tennosui. Tennosui is 3 times better tasting than the 20th Century and doesn't turn brown after cutting open.

Tony

o

Thanks for the input!

I'm curious why less than full sun makes cracking worse?

I have started grafting other varieties onto the tree.

o

the longer the water sits on the skin the more is absorbed into the fruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here