Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries and blueberries

Posted by stack316 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:29

1st time grower of both Raspberries and blueberries, all 3 plants were planted this spring. The raspberry seems to be out of control. Any suggestions as to what to do.? do they get pruned, do a put in a tomato cage?

thank you

raspberry
 photo raspberry.jpg

2 blueberries
 photo blueberry1.jpg

photo blueberry2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries and blueberries

The raspberries are uncontrolled, not out of control.

A large tomato cage could work, is a two-person job now, one to hold the berry canes vertical.

Better to just drive a stake in about a foot away and tie the canes loosely to that. For one clump of raspberries, that will work. Metal lasts longer than wood. Pruning depends on the variety of raspberry.

o

You got a weed growing over that one blueberry. Or I've lost my mind....

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 0:34

That raspberry is not out of control. It is trying to take over your yard. It knows exactly what it is doing. If your soil and climate are to the liking of this particular raspberry cultivar, it will send out horizontal roots, and sprout new plants several feet away from the mother. These volunteers can be pulled up as weeds, or mowed down, or allowed to grow. It is your choice. It is certainly possible to keep a raspberry patch confined to one spot, and thinned out enough so that one can get at and pick all of the ripe fruit. However, there is some effort involved-you could say that raspberries are not well behaved...

o

I noticed that also about your first Blueberry pic.The big leaf plant doesn't look like one. Brady

o

The big plant next to the blueberry is a pokeweed....you need to get rid of it carefully.

o

about the weed, saw that and was ready to pull it, thanks for confirming. should be fun to remove without killing the blueberry

will probably go with the stake idea

thank you

o

I bought two raspberry plants from Lowe's and the plant is described as "Mysore". However I noticed that someone had posted that this plant is actually a "Caroline" since the "Mysore" is a black raspberry and this tag surely shows this berry to be a conical RED. I know that these two varieties are certainly different in how they are handled at the end of the growing season.

This post was edited by cem99 on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 12:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here