Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
picked peaches early, washed but still go brown rot?

Posted by garedneck ATLANTA 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 22:30

Well, i guess the honeymoon is over as the first several years it was easy to grow all types of fruits without much disease or pest pressure. This year brown rot has gotten into everything despite regular immunox sprays and a few monterey fungus fighter sprays and copper sprays in the winter.

So with one of the peach trees i removed about 30 peaches about 1 week before they would normally tree ripen while they looked good, washed them off, dried them and set them in the house. A few days later they get brown rot starting from the outside of the peach working its way towards the pit before the peach was fully ripe! It only takes 24 hrs to go from good looking peach to totally rotted peach!

What could or should i have done to prevent it?

I know to try to keep orchard clean and neat , regular sprays, etc. Should i just get used to this every so many years when the weather is particularly wet or hot?

Of course i did get a couple peaches this year that were fabulous making it worth the effort!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: picked peaches early, washed but still go brown rot?

"Of course i did get a couple peaches this year that were fabulous making it worth the effort!"

Here here! I can't think of a better piece of fruit than a dead ripe peach in the summer. Hopefully someone will chime in with some advice for you. I grow peaches in (fairly) idiot proof California....

o

Skip the Immunox and up the MFF. There is no big reason to spray Immunox on peaches. Sulphur in the spring helps some as well, and a recent thread here pointed to liquid calcium as something else that helps.

Brown rot is a big pain, just when you think you are the Master of Fruit Growing it shows up and crushes that thought.

Scott

o

Yes, it is interesting how BR just shows up and then it's a new ball game, but a lot of pests are like that. You do this long enough and you know you will never master it and many anecdotal assumptions will fall to the wayside. Once the brown rot gets into the wood it seems like the pressure comes back year after year.

I agree with Scott about the relative uselessness of myclobutanil for stone fruit- Cornell only recommends its use for blossom blight which I've yet to see (probably something to surprise me down the road).

The calcium idea is fascinating, but I'd sure like to see some more research on it before I further complicate my spray schedule. Probably the Monterey Fungus fighter by itself will adequately protect your crop. Be sure to get it down about a month before your peaches begin to ripen. Here, a single spray is sometimes adequate at sites that otherwise lose everything. I base that observation on my use of a similar compound (Indar) that I've been using for quite a few years.

o

Harvest-

Ask and you will receive:

more research

It looks like 6 sprays is plenty...they recommend calcium chloride, like other articles i've read... stuff isn't easy to track down locally.

o

If you had placed the peaches in the refrigerator, instead of leaving them out, the ripening process would have stopped and you would have retarded or even stopped the brown rot.
I know I'll get flack for posting this, but it works for me, as long as you eat the peaches soon afterwards.

o

Frank, that article doesn't show a huge reduction but it shows enough for me to want to use it. One thing I found with all my organic brown rot battling is if you hit the disease from different angles you can overall set it back. I have done something similar to the OFM, the combination of mating disruption and a few spinosad sprays has gotten it to manageable levels.

Ray, fridge is always a good idea to slow the rot down if the fruit is ripe enough for what you want to do with it.

Scott

o

My peach trees all had the brown rot this year too! My great peaches were mostly ruined. Will I automatically have the BR next year (over-winter) as well? It is crummy to have nice looking peaches....then you cut them open...

o

Hmmm, six sprays of calcium for very partial control or one or two sprays Indar which has given me absolute control. I probably won't be giving the calcium thing a spin. I have less reluctance to rely on synthetics than Scott.

Thanks Frank- all the clarification I need.

o

I will try more MFF on the remaining peach trees and have decided to do another experiment by taking good looking peaches a week before fully tree ripe and doing the final wash/cleaning using a hydrogen peroxide bath to see if i can sterilize the surface! Maybe a few others will get an exterior bath in rum! One way or another we will make this fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here