Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Gage

Posted by Ztom 5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 22:33

Last year I planted a Reine Claude Green Gage from Arboreum.biz. It is doing great, with nice dark green leaves. I also planted a Green Gage from Willis Orchards which is a larger tree but the leaves our smaller and lighter green in color. The leaves look more like one of my Japanese Plums. Has anybody planted a Green Gage from Willis Orchards? I'm wondering if it is true to name. Any chance they are both Green Gages if the leaves don't look the same?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Gage

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 0:39

It is certainly possible for 2 trees of the same variety to have leaves that are different shades.

I also don't have much respect for Willis nursery and wouldn't be surprised to learn your tree from them is something else.

o

There are also several varieties of Green Gage - maybe you have two different ones. I don't know what Reine Claude means in the US but in France it is just means 'Green Gage' afaik and isn't a specific cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some gages

o

Can't help much without a photo, but Green Gage should obviously be European and it is probably the most commonly mislabeled variety I've ever dealt with. Even Adams County Nursery was, for a while, selling a Japanese green plum as Green Gage, but now they sell the real thing.

When it is labeled Reine Claude it usually means the nursery is selling or intending you to believe they are selling the authentic variety.

You really need to be sure you are dealing with a reliable nursery, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here