Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeydew and Watermelons are splitting before ripe :( Help?

Posted by iluvbotany4life Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 22:34

I've got about 4 honeydew melons in my garden that are getting very large and 3 of them split wide open. The fourth was just beginning to split as well, so I picked it and it wasn't even near ripe yet. My watermelons are also splitting before they are ripe as well. Also, I have some cataloupe that are ENORMOUS, I'm talking the size of those massive watermelons you see in the supermarket. I picked one of these huge cantaloupes and they are not even ripe yet..why would they be so huge? I'm mainly concerned about the splitting melons. Some things that I've considered that may factor into this is that we have had a lot of heavy downpours here. Also, it has been unusually hot here all month. Nearly everyday it reaches near 95F. Lastly, I planted all my melons too close, so their vines are overlapping and climbing all over each other. I don't know if this can play any kind of part in the splitting problem, but I just thought I'd mention it. Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeydew and Watermelons are splitting before ripe :( Help?

Sounds like all the rain has caused your melons to get very large. It can also cause them to split although I've never seen that myself. We've had about 5 inches this month mostly in the first week. No splitting from that but the vines sure grew a lot.

o
RE: Honeydew and Watermelons are splitting before ripe :( Help?

My watermelons are doing the same....We have had downpours as well almost everyday....too much water. the tomatoes are doing the same..they split before red...i have to pick just as the color starts to pink up and bring in

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here