Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy June bug population

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 22:37

Anyone else getting a crazy number of June bugs? They are usually so few in number that I don't really worry about them. I have hundreds of them in my orchard now. At night when I shine my light I see about one every square foot near the ground. They are not causing too much damage except on a few recent trees which were getting eaten alive (until I covered them).

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy June bug population

Scott,

Here in Florida we have them as well except they are about 5 times the size of the northern variety. The grubs in the ground are huge as well....since I got my ducks the population of the grubs and adults has plummeted. I know that solution will not work for a lot of people but there is some satisfaction in turning pests in to meat and eggs.

o

Bamboo, have they been going after the new growth on your blbry's? Something after all my fresh vegetative growth.

o

Noogy, go out at night with a flashlight and you will see. On my blueberries its been these smaller june beetle like beetles, I don't know the name for them but I also have a lot of them this year. They are less shiny than June beetles and more plump and smaller and slower.

Scott

o

Noogy,

I don't think the adult june bugs feed at all....it is the grubs that do all of the feeding. Other than the tussock caterpillars nothing feeds on the leaves of the bushes here.

o

BR, I know the adults feed because I saw them mauling my newly planted cherries, a dozen of them on a recently planted tree getting stripped. They usually don't eat enough to cause noticeable damage but this year they are since there are so many of them.

Scott

o

They (june bugs) feed on my plum tree too. The only tree that gets eaten is the plum but boy do they eat.

o

Scott,

Well live and learn....I have yet to see the June bugs here eat anything but they very well may. I would bet the only way to control them is to treat the ground where they spend almost their entire lives. The ducks patrol just before dark and catch them coming out of the ground.that make a rather serious crunch as the ducks eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here